From September 2017 the Department for Education revealed that it will be doubling the allowance per pupil for The Primary PE & Sport Premium.
How The Funding is Worked Out
• Schools with 16 or fewer eligible pupils receive £1,000 per pupil.
• Schools with 17 or more eligible pupils receive £16,000 and an additional payment of £10 per pupil.
• The Department for Education will publish the school level breakdown of funding for the academic year 2017 to 2018, including conditions of grant, in October 2017.
The additional funding is set to come from the levy on sugary soft drinks or “Sugar Tax” as it has become commonly known.
The process for payment remains the same, with schools receiving 7/12ths of funding directly in Oct/Nov and the remaining 5/12ths in April/May.
What the Funding Can Achieve
It is clear from the Governments instructions that the Sports Premium must be used to increase or improve existing provisions for Physical Education and Sport.
This means that you should use the premium to:
- develop or add to the PE and sport activities that your school already offers
- make improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
For example, you can use your funding to:
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively
- introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- run sport competitions
- increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- run sports activities with other schools
You should not use your funding to:
- employ coaches or specialist teachers to cover planning preparation and assessment (PPA) arrangements – these should come out of your core staffing budgets
- teach the minimum requirements of the national curriculum – including those specified for swimming (or, in the case of academies and free schools, to teach your existing PE curriculum)
Great News for Your Outdoor Sport and Play Provisions!
As you can see this makes a dramatic impact on your schools ability to improve your outdoor sport and play facilities, as it CAN be used on outdoor equipment that encourages Physical Activity, Sport and improvement of Health and Well Being.
Our ranges of equipment that can be combined with your Sports Premium:
Sports Premium in Action
Rosliston C of E Primary School
Continuous Adventure Trail including:
Net Crossing, Stepping Logs, Rope Traverse, Traverse Wall, Rope Balance, Log Balance, Log Crossing and Net Ladder.
“We already had some activity equipment installed by yourselves. We have been extremely pleased with this and the children love it. We have added the balance beams/seating in the middle to ‘finish it off’. We chose to use your company again as we were impressed with your prompt, friendly, efficient service and the excellent product quality. I will recommend you to others as appropriate and you will be my first port of call when we require further equipment.” E. Greenwood – Head Teacher